OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

gary shindler bewlay68 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 9 16:22:48 EDT 2008

Haven't heard Maiden since the reunion album and I missed the Blaze era (like they'll get him back!).
I think Paul Dianno gets a bum rap. The albums he sang on were good. I doubt Dickinson could sing "Purgatory" as well.
I remember thinking Judas Priest were a joke when I saw them with Megadeth and Testament. Halford was stalking the stage like he was a member of Run DMC (before he came out and left). I think their bass player hid through the whole show.
Gary

----- Original Message ----
From: Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:59:30 PM
Subject: OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

On 09 Sep 2008, at 14:31 , gary shindler wrote:
> I only heard Dickinson's first album with "All the Young Dudes." He
> does have a movie now of "The Chemical Wedding."

That would be _Tattooed Millionaire_, which is IMO in nothing like
the same league as _The Chemical Wedding_ (which is effectively a
William Blake inspired concept album).  TCW has Adrian Smith aboard,
with guitar duties rounded out by the mighty (if not widely known)
talents of Roy Z, and contains very serious rocking indeed.  Go forth
and listen of it!  (TCW also, with all respect, beats the crap out of
Maiden's _Virtual XI_, released the same year.  I reckon Steve Harris
probably decided that inviting Smith and Dickinson back was a must-do
after listening to TCW! ;))

The followup to TCW was _Tyranny of Souls_, which is also quite good
(definitely better than _Tattooed Millionaire_, IMO) if not quite as
fab as TCW (IMO).  It lacks Adrian Smith (both he and Bruce being
back in the Maiden fold by then) and is largely a Bruce/Roy Z
collaborative effort -- but that still produces an album better than
many I've heard.  I have heard some fan's pick _Accident of Birth_,
the predecessor to TCW as a favorite Dickinson solo album (and it has
the same band as TCW, I think), but I definitely prefer TCW and Tyranny.

> Iron Maiden was my first rock concert with Fastway and Saxon. It
> was the "Piece of Mind" tour. Cue up the mullets and spandex.

I've never actually seen Maiden live!  I only started warming to them
recently (despite getting hooked by a Dickinson solo album 10 years
ago) and though I would have seen their concert earlier this year in
Bogotá, it was actually already sold out when I arrived late last
year.  (It was their first ever gig in the country.)  Still, not
having any long held expectations, I find I really like some of the
stuff on the recent _Matter of Life and Death_ album at least as well
as anything from the "classic" period.

Cheers,
Carl

--