OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 9 17:15:07 EDT 2008

On 09 Sep 2008, at 15:22 , gary shindler wrote:
> Haven't heard Maiden since the reunion album and I missed the Blaze
> era (like they'll get him back!).
> I think Paul Dianno gets a bum rap. The albums he sang on were
> good. I doubt Dickinson could sing "Purgatory" as well.

The Di'Anno stuff seems all right to me -- though I can understand
why they ended up needing to replace him, I can also understand why
they still (I think) perform songs from that era.

The reunion album was _Brave New World_, I guess; it seems pretty
good to me, too, as did the follow-up _Dance of Death_.  Still, I
like _A Matter of Life and Death_ more (I'm not claiming this is
necessarily a widely held opinion :)) than either of those.  AMoLaD
has got a few long, proggy (let's say it: indulgent!) yet riff-tastic
songs that really work for me.  There ya go!

> I remember thinking Judas Priest were a joke when I saw them with
> Megadeth and Testament. Halford was stalking the stage like he was
> a member of Run DMC (before he came out and left). I think their
> bass player hid through the whole show.

Ah, now I never really warmed to Priest, either.  I keep thinking
that I must be missing something, and need to re-listen to either the
classic or modern output, but whatever hear never latches on.  Maybe
someday!  I didn't use to like Maiden or Dio-era Sabbath, either! :)

Speaking of 80s metal and 70s metal and suchlike .... Of late, I have
quite enjoyed the new Grand Magus _Iron Will_ album.  GM started as a
very doomy stoner band, and have steadily added what seem to be 80s-
ish power-metal influences; I wouldn't have predicted that working
for me, given my history of suspicion of 80s metal -- but it has!
They were a _good_ stoner-doom band back when they started, but
largely one of many.  They've kept key elements of that sound, but
have rocked up the tempos, and the singer has something of a baritone
Dio-Gillan vibe rather than the usual stoner bawl.  Plus, they're a
power trio with a Flying V and a Rickenbacker bass, so what's not to
like? :)

Cheers,
Carl

--