OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 10 08:17:57 EDT 2008

I always confuse DoD and AMOLAD just because of the names and thenatic similarity, but if I recall correctly I think I agree with you.  DoD has Paschandale which I think is overall my favorite Iron Maiden song (even over and above my previous favorites like The Trooper, Flight of Icarus, Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills) but (assuming I'm not conflating them yet again) :) I think _A Matter..._ is overall a better album.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
Date: Tuesday, Sep 9, 2008 5:18 pm
Subject: Re: OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

On 09 Sep 2008, at 15:22 , gary shindler wrote:
 Haven't heard Maiden since the reunion album and I missed the Blaze
 era (like they'll get him back!).
 I think Paul Dianno gets a bum rap. The albums he sang on were
 good. I doubt Dickinson could sing "Purgatory" as well.

The Di'Anno stuff seems all right to me -- though I can understand
why they ended up needing to replace him, I can also understand why
they still (I think) perform songs from that era.

The reunion album was _Brave New World_, I guess; it seems pretty
good to me, too, as did the follow-up _Dance of Death_.  Still, I
like _A Matter of Life and Death_ more (I'm not claiming this is
necessarily a widely held opinion :)) than either of those.  AMoLaD
has got a few long, proggy (let's say it: indulgent!) yet riff-tastic
songs that really work for me.  There ya go!

> I remember thinking Judas Priest were a joke when I saw them with
 Megadeth and Testament. Halford was stalking the stage like he was
 a member of Run DMC (before he came out and left). I think their
 bass player hid through the whole show.

Ah, now I never really warmed to Priest, either.  I keep thinking
that I must be missing something, and need to re-listen to either the
classic or modern output, but whatever hear never latches on.  Maybe
someday!  I didn't use to like Maiden or Dio-era Sabbath, either! :)

Speaking of 80s metal and 70s metal and suchlike .... Of late, I have
quite enjoyed the new Grand Magus _Iron Will_ album.  GM started as a
very doomy stoner band, and have steadily added what seem to be 80s-
ish power-metal influences; I wouldn't have predicted that working
for me, given my history of suspicion of 80s metal -- but it has!
They were a _good_ stoner-doom band back when they started, but
largely one of many.  They've kept key elements of that sound, but
have rocked up the tempos, and the singer has something of a baritone
Dio-Gillan vibe rather than the usual stoner bawl.  Plus, they're a
power trio with a Flying V and a Rickenbacker bass, so what's not to
like? :)

Cheers,
Carl

--