80s Metal

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 10 11:55:23 EDT 2008

I'm not too keen on most Elf material, it mostly sounds like swamp boogie to me.  But one song -  "Wonderworld" I think it's called - clearly presaged his terrific work with Rainbow.

And as for his work with Sabbath, I can hardly say enough good things about it.  Heaven and Hell is one of about maybe 10 albums (along with Back in Black, Fire of Unknown Origin, Number of the Beast, Screaming for Vengeance, Blackout, Pyromania, et al) to come out between '80 and '82 that pretty much set my taste in rock and metal when I was a kid.  Obviously a lot of them I left behind, but I think a couple of them have proven pretty themselves to be essentially timeless (Back in Black being perhaps the most obvious example).

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Theodore O Jackson <tjackson at SYR.EDU>
Date: Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 10:04 am
Subject: Re: 80s Metal
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]
On Behalf Of Swartz, John A.
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:51 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

Ah, 80s hair metal (which I get to listen to more these days than ever
on XM Radio's "The Boneyard" channel).  I never saw Dio in concert
(with or without Black Sabbath),

First time I saw RJD, he was in a local band from
here in Upstate NY called Elf.  I expect most of
the folks on this list weren't born yet at the time
of that gig, or they were very young...

tj