80s Metal

Tim Hall tim at KALYR.COM
Wed Sep 10 14:21:34 EDT 2008

gary shindler wrote:
> Gillan was my favorite singer and I really liked "Born Again." Seeing Purple's reunion tour was a highlight - from what I can remember ;)

I saw Gillan fronting his own band (simply called "Gillan") three times
in the early 80s.  They may have had patchy albums and too many cheesy
singles, but they were amazing live.

> On topic for the list: Rainbow had more fans when I saw them with BOC ("Revolution by Night"). Many of the crowd left before BOC's encore. If you thought BOC was commercial then how about Rainbow?

Now that's one band I never did get to see - this was the days when you
had to apply for tickets by post, and whether or not they'd sold out by
the time your ticket application arrived was a bit of a lottery.

Yes, they got very commercial after Dio left to join Sabbath, and I
think BOC's 80s material stands up better today.

--
Tim
http://www.kalyr.com/weblog