tBS/BOC: Re: 80s Metal

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 10 16:14:21 EDT 2008

You know, don't even ask *why* such a thing would occur to me, but I just thought how ridiculously awesome a band with Al, Ross and Joey Cerisano (Seige & Investitute) would be.  :)

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
Date: Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm
Subject: tBS/BOC: Re: 80s Metal
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

On 10 Sep 2008, at 13:15 , Steve Swann wrote:
 For those of you who never got to see late period Brain Surgeons
 with Ross on guitar, well...  I hate to rub in, but those were
 MONSTER rock & roll shows.  Al finally had a guitar player for the
 Surgeons who was a match for his songwriting powers*.  Holy mother
 of god, that was some of the most kick ass live rock and roll I've
 ever heard.
 * don't get me wrong, Pete and Billy were great, and Deb .  But
 Ross had the colossal riffing powers necessary to really carry the
 Surgeons' sound

Agree 100%.  I saw the initial touring incarnation and the final
Rossified incarnation, and though I always enjoyed the shows ...
well, the _Denial of Death_ lineup was *amazing*, as was the album.
I think that album and those gigs stand up pretty well alongside
anything else in the history of BOC and its occasional if mysterious
side shoots.  When we talk about great and shining albums here, well,
we have to remember that such albums are the definite minority in the
world -- we just talk about those few more.  And few bands will ever
make an album as good as _Denial of Death_.