OFF: Re: Heaven and Hell

Wed Sep 17 17:15:01 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 01:04:25PM -0700, gary shindler typed out:
> It's interesting to see Dio get his due now. While he was with first with Sabbath there seemed to be so much mudslinging between the Sabbath and Ozzy camps.
> I really like "Rainbow Rising" and think it could be interesting if he worked with Ritchie Blackmore again. Unfortunately Cozy Powell's out of the picture and Blackmore's playing renaissance festival music.

	The biggest problem with Dio I have is how corny his lyrics are.
And, on _Rainbow Rising_ particularly, especially `Stargazer', how many
times he repeats them. The trouble is he doesn't seem to sound much cop
singing others' words, but his own are almost too much to take. It's a
splendid album, but I do wish he'd just shut up and let the band play
after a few times through the variations... Yours,
						   Jon

n/p ELvis Costello - _My Aim Is True_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk