OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

Thu Sep 18 15:50:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 02:59:30PM -0500, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> The followup to TCW was _Tyranny of Souls_, which is also quite good
> (definitely better than _Tattooed Millionaire_, IMO) if not quite as
> fab as TCW (IMO).  It lacks Adrian Smith (both he and Bruce being
> back in the Maiden fold by then) and is largely a Bruce/Roy Z
> collaborative effort -- but that still produces an album better than
> many I've heard.  I have heard some fan's pick _Accident of Birth_,
> the predecessor to TCW as a favorite Dickinson solo album (and it has
> the same band as TCW, I think), but I definitely prefer TCW and Tyranny.

	I borrowed _Accident of Birth_ from a friend a while after
getting TCW, and though the band is the same and the sound is the same,
and I can see how people would like it, it just doesn't have the whole
Blake schtick which makes TCW so compelling. _Accident of Birth_ does
not demand to have its artwork done as woodcuts and oils; TCW really
does benefit from its concept to elevate the interest value of the music
and words together, for me at least. AoB punches about the same weight,
but doesn't have the style. So I thought anyway, yours,
							Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk