OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Sep 19 08:53:33 EDT 2008

On 19 Sep 2008, at 06:30 , Steve Swann wrote:
> Speaking of monstrous vibe, did you ever pick up the reissued Spine
> of God?  You know I'm not going to leave off until you do...   :)

I did!  I got it just over a year ago, just before I left the UK.  (I
was pretty sure I wouldn't find a copy here in the local Bogota Tower
Records .... ;)).  Actually, I mentioned it briefly in an earlier
eruption of the loudness wars discussion a few months ago, where I
noted it does seem to be more compressed that the original CD issue,
but the original CD issue also sounded like arse in various ways that
the reissue doesn't, so I'm much happier with the new one. :)

Ah, Monster Magnet ....  They (or Wyndorf, or whoever) could kind of
use a "comeback album" .... ;)  I suggest a 50 minute album on which
the tracks intersperse 6-8 minute HawkSabbath roar numbers with 3-4
minute pseudo-MCStooges songs, plus an accompanying EP that includes
a 30-minute cover of The Spacious Mind's "Interplanetarian
Lovemachine".  Producing will be some mad Scandinavian who
understands how to get a modern snap on a 70s dinosaur vibe.
Sorted. :)  Dunno how many copies it would move in the mainstream
charts, but we could at least restore some dignity to the name. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson