OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

Tue Sep 23 10:00:34 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 04:15:07PM -0500, Carl Edlund Anderson typed out:
> Speaking of 80s metal and 70s metal and suchlike .... Of late, I have
> quite enjoyed the new Grand Magus _Iron Will_ album.  GM started as a
> very doomy stoner band, and have steadily added what seem to be 80s-
> ish power-metal influences; I wouldn't have predicted that working
> for me, given my history of suspicion of 80s metal -- but it has!
> They were a _good_ stoner-doom band back when they started, but
> largely one of many.  They've kept key elements of that sound, but
> have rocked up the tempos, and the singer has something of a baritone
> Dio-Gillan vibe rather than the usual stoner bawl.  Plus, they're a
> power trio with a Flying V and a Rickenbacker bass, so what's not to
> like? :)

	I agree that they've actually become a pretty impressive band by
dint of adding a bit more widdle, which isn't something I'd say of many
groups :-) The singer is good, hell, they're all good but he can carry
their `new direction'. None of this stops them being a little dull live
unless they're having an absolutely perfect night, though. On a good
night they are a grinding relentless machine of perfectly-timed doom,
and on a band night they just go on without really getting the power up.
I've never been quite sure whether to chance an album because of this...
You think _Iron Will_ is a safe bet? Yours,
					    Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk