OFF: Re: Dio, Maiden, etc.

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Sep 23 11:43:27 EDT 2008

On 23 Sep 2008, at 09:00 , Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> You think _Iron Will_ is a safe bet?

I really like _Iron Will_ -- such as I've heard it, which is only in
the form of some dodgy MP3s (since gods know that no shops down 'ere
carry Grand Magus!).  It was recommended to me, and I thought, "Mmm,
Grand Magus?  I kinda remember them.  Well, OK, I'll give it a listen
I guess ...".  But, somewhat to my surprise, it really clicked with
me.  Not that I've heard lots of new releases from 2008, but _Iron
Will_ is certainly a winner among them in my book.  Your mileage may
vary, but I'd give it a go.

I mean, it _might_ just be me.  After all, if someone told me "You
should listen to a Swedish, Viking-obsessed, power-doom trio armed
with Gibsons and Rickenbackers", I'd be forced to answer "Well,
OBVIOUSLY I should listen to that!". :) Luckily, I continue feeling
like I should listen to it again and again, too.  ("It's much better
than _Cats_ ....")

I think there are a bunch of good tracks on the album, but for a
quick taster I'd check out lead-off "Like the Oar Strikes the Water",
and then "The Shadow Knows" (which is actually the most "80s metal"
of the tracks, I think -- though if all 80s metal were like that, I'd
like 80s metal rather more than I do!).

Cheers,
Carl

--