HW/NIK: new albums compared (was OFF: Dio, Maiden, etc.)

Fri Sep 26 10:36:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:11:01PM +0100, M Holmes typed out:
> Jonathan Jarrett writes:
> > ObCD: Space Ritual - _Otherworld_, which I only just got and which is
> > confusing me by being not bad enough that I'm not entirely certain it
> > might not be good. A terrible string of negatives, but I was truly
> > expecting it to suck, and it fails to do so. More on this I expect...
> I've quite liked it from the getgo. It's the only good thing Nik has
> done in I don't know how long. Maybe he can finally let go of Hawkwind
> and start producing some music again...

	It is good, isn't it? But I'm not sure Nik is to blame. If you
have a good look at the writing credits, he's mostly there for words,
but a lot of the words are words we've heard before, from Sphynx or ICU,
`Time Crime', `Communique' and so on. The real new creative input seems
to be coming from a guest, this Russell bloke, and, well, Dave Anderson.
It's really Anderson's album, to read those credits anyway.

	The weird thing; it sounds so much more professionally produced
than TMTYL. The material isn't as good, I think, I don't think that,
beyond `Otherworld' itself and `Sonic Savages', there's any truly
stand-out songs here, whereas TMTYL has several, especially `Sun Ray'
and `Angela Android' but others as well. But it sounds so good overall
that you could be fooled into thinking there were. It reminds me of when
I saw the 21st Century Schizoid Band, who are King Crimson's kind of
XHawkwind equivalent. They had some new material too, and it wasn't very
interesting, but they knew so much about arrangements and general
musical cunning that the essential drabness of their songs were very
well disguised. Something similar here, and this is very strong evidence
to my mind that HW should really stop producing records in a barn and
Pro Tools... Yours,
		    Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk