OFF: Dodgeball

Amphetamine Embalmer superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Mon Sep 29 15:20:16 EDT 2008

Its also on time with Hawkwi
where I got the name "the embalmer"!!!!!!

Its also on time with Hawkwind chronology! late 60s/early 70s.........

----- Original Message ----
From: Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Monday, 29 September, 2008 16:17:10
Subject: Re: OFF: Dodgeball

On 29 Sep 2008, at 06:23 , M Holmes wrote:
> WaI is pretty well up there. What is
> it you thought good about it?

It just clicked with me immediately -- and, no, I didn't need to get
wasted to appreciate it. ;)  I thought the characters are incredibly
well-drawn, the writing/dialog was fantastic, and the whole film hung
together really well.  I've certainly been through my part of living
in reduced circumstances in slum-like conditions -- if perhaps not as
dodgily or dramatically reduced as those in the film ;) -- but there
was plenty that resonated with personal experience.  (OK, less the
bits about being pursued by someone's outrageously camp uncle, thank
heavens! :)).

The ending is, I think, a little uncertain (largely because movie is
more character-driven than plot-driven, and its hard to know quite
how to wrap things up), though largely carried by RE Grant's strong
and appropriate-to-the-scene delivery of the Hamlet quotes.  I have
been given to understand that the original intention was for Withnail
to commit suicide, but I think that would have actually been a bit
too pat.  I think it actually works better with Withnail delivering
his final bow to the wolves and drifting off into the rain.  I
wouldn't change it, I think.

It's surely one of the more "quotable" films out there. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson