If you pirate music, you're downloading fascism!

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Apr 2 17:19:27 EDT 2009

On 2 Apr 2009, at 4:45 PM, Tim Hall wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/apr/02/pirate-bay-music-piracy

When I first read about The Pirate Bay's IPREDator service[*] on The
Register my first thought was "why would anyone pay 5 euros a month to
subscribe to this?"  I mean, it doesn't appear to offer anything new;
just an attempt to piggyback on The Pirate Bay brand name.  There are
plenty of existing VPN anonymity subscription services.  Secondly, it
appears to turn the P2P approach entirely on its head by forcing all
traffic through the VPN instead of... peer to peer.  That's kind of
dumb for a P2P application, or at the very least, not very scalable.
(Unless they've done something clever in the way of being able to
distribute the VPN on a massive scale, avoiding all the problems of
trust a la rogue Tor nodes, etc.)  Even assuming they did get it to
scale, what is to stop the RIAA/MPAA/etc. simply having their Internet
watchers subscribe themselves to continue monitoring inside?  (The
success of P2P systems hinges on the easy ability to locate peers with
which to swap data, after all.)  That's assuming, of course, ISPs
don't just block access to the IPREDator VPN gateways...

Cheers,

Paul.

[*] Is it just me, or does this appear to be a rather unfortunately-
named service?  It's easy to read it as iPredator: the online service
for Internet stalkers, predators, child molesters, et al... :-)

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

         --- Frank Vincent Zappa