HW: Alan Davey interview

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Apr 14 12:57:37 EDT 2009

On 14 Apr 2009, at 10:48, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 08:10:30AM -0500, Carl Edlund Anderson
> typed out:
>> Well, you could buy a dodgy old bass or get some software synths and
>> DAW software and mess around for a couple of years and then you'd
>> probably be quite close to making as much music that you heard in
>> your head as ol´ Harvey can/has.  After all, the magic of technology
>> make that a lot cheaper and easier than it used to be! :)
>
> 	Yes, I *could*, but my to-do list and academic procrastination
> powers are so great that we both know that only mid-life crisis and
> the
> eventual failing of my hair will bring this on.

Well, whatever it takes .... ;)

> Also, my reflexes are
> slow and clumsy.

This has failed to stop a lot of people .... :)

> 	Well, I've seen Richard use a drum sequencer *live* during
> `Space is their Palestine' and I was fine with that. I think the 2001
> line-up, when they were doing that indeed, Brock-Davey-Chadwick-
> Bainbridge-House-sometimes Huggett-sometimes Brown (eerily similar
> really) was as good as it's been and making a better attempt at
> incorporating the techno urges than, say, `Acid House of Dreams'... On
> the other hand you and I have been arguing "Palace Springs!" -
> "California Brainstorm!" since I found out about the albums, right? so
> I'm not really expecting to convince you just like that :-)

There are a few tracks I could have thrown off of _Palace Springs_
and replaced with the "Out of the Shadows" from _California
Brainstorm_. :)

But, in general, if I were the producer, I would have made HW banish
their techno urges to solo albums. :)  They were diluting the brand!
I would have wielded Rick-Rubin-like power! :) "Of these 10 songs,
these two are OK, but they need more blanga.  Record them thus, and
write 8 more good new songs.  I'll be back in a week or so to see how
you're getting on .... Oh, for fuck's sake, Dave, you call that an
amplifier? Damn, I'll have someone bring something over .... ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson