HW: Alan Davey interview

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Apr 16 11:47:17 EDT 2009

On 16 Apr 2009, at 09:25, Steve Swann wrote:
> I still have a soft spot for those old One Way releases.  By that
> time I had begun to despair of ever seeing those early 70s Hawkwind
> releases on CD - so actually getting my paws on that first Space
> Ritual CD set was a freaking religious experience for me...

I first had a cassette copy of the SR LPs from someone on the list,
which I hastily replaced with the One Way CDs when they came out.  I
didn't really "get" SR from the cassette, but the CD really opened my
ears!  I did eventually find with the LPs and got 'em for the cool
sleeve, though I doubt I ever played the LPs, not having a record-
player by that point!

Admittedly, I long ago replaced my One Ways with the EMI re-masters,
which I certainly liked better at the time -- and since I don't have
the One Ways anymore, I can't fall into the temptation to re-compare
as Steve has ;) but every time I listen to the EMIs, I think "Well,
that sounds pretty cool", so I expect I'd still be happy with them.  :)

The opening of "Born to Go" still gives me shivers, and the opening
of the "YSDT" encore (whether on the EMI re-master or Stasis or some
other comp) still makes me want to jump up and wave my fist in the
air.  And the SR version of "MotU" is still a howling, unstoppable
juggernaut (for all that I was listening to some 80s Huw versions
recently and being reminded that they're not bad either).

And, turning to Doremi (which I think I first had as a One Way CD),
the bass solo on "Time We Left" remains one of mankind's greatest
achievements in any field! :)  I'm sure Alan Davey would probably
agree. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--