Swindells's "Fresh Blood" (was Re: HW: Alan Davey interview)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Apr 17 08:50:12 EDT 2009

I freely confess that I just followed Christian's example and
downloaded the Swindell's "Fresh Blood" vinyl rip torrent from Pirate
Bay, never having found any other way of hearing the album!  (Has it
_ever_ been released on CD?  Shoot, were I Steve, I think I'd just
bootleg myself!).

Of course, the most interesting part in some ways is comparing the
"Shot Down in the Night" (always one of my fave Hawksongs) with the
'Live '79 version; Swindells himself describes it as "waaay harder,
more dramatic and simply better" :) and I can see why, though at the
moment I'd say there are points in the song where I'd agree with
that, and other points a wouldn't.  Cool track, though, and I am re-
convinced I should do a cover some time :)).  And overall the album
is pretty rocking.  I do feel like I hear a kind of latter-day Who
vibe going on, so I can see how Swindells got the gig writing some
tracks for Daltrey (though Daltrey was a fool not to cover SDitN
because it totally rocks :)).

Who's Nic Potter (bass)? Not Alan Davey's erstwhile cousin Nigel
Potter, surely?  (Perhaps a bit young at the time, and there's surely
more than a few people named "N. Potter" in England :)).

Good album, and it's nice to have heard it at last, if only as a
vinyl rip on MP3!  There's no reason someone shouldn't release it as
a digital download, at least.  Might make Steve a few quid, after
all! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--