HW 40th Anniversary Show - Huw

Theodore O Jackson tjackson at SYR.EDU
Fri Apr 17 12:38:46 EDT 2009

Funny you guys are so into this modal thing
without anyone mentioning Buck Dharma, who's
an early proponent of modal playing, although
I think he kind of discovered it by accident.
I'm pretty sure Buck's self-taught.  No idea
about Huw...

tj

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:50 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: HW 40th Anniversary Show - Huw

Despite years of pretending to be a musician, my technical knowledge
of music is virtually nonexistent :) so I will bow to those with a
deeper knowledge of Huw's forays across jazz modes!  Still, there is
definitely something about Huw that makes him sound like Huw,
traversing across the face of the song like some crazed sonic rock
climber on a string.  In the last weeks, I'm been going back and
trying to revisit the bits of "Huwwind" that I have, and even though
it _still_ sounds to me like a remarkably distinctive and creative
bunch of covers with Huw on board, rather than what is burned in my
mind as classic Hawkwind, I have to say that I do appreciate his work
with the band!  I mean, I can scarecely imagine "Shot Down in the
Night" being played without Huw, and my favorite version of "Psy
Power" is that rocked up Huw-fueled one (always wanted to cover that,
too).

And, you're right -- Jerry, for all his evident merits, didn't really
seem to bring such a distinctive voice to the proceedings.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson