HW: colorsound

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 20 12:21:43 EDT 2009

So basically what I culd find on Colorsound is that they make a boatload of f/x pedals.  Any notion what Dave was using?  If it's varied over the years, which I presume it has, I always wondered most what he was using in the late 90's to get that solid wall of sound like in Hassan I Sabha...

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
Date: Monday, Apr 20, 2009 10:54 am
Subject: Re: HW: Knights of Space audio mix
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:33:12AM -0400, Steve Swann typed out:

	<snip>

> I still think it's funny that Dave (based on what I've heard from
 interviews and comments of his) apparently doesn't think of himself as
 much of a guitar player, while l could listen to him play guitar *all
 goddamn day* (and I have), and prefer him over any number of guitar
 players who win Guitar Player Magazine readers awards, and have people
 obsessively trying to copy their wanky "watch me play scales at jet
 speed" style...  I know it's not quite the same thing, and that in
 some ways it makes more sense to compare him to people like Malcolm
 Young, but you guys know what I mean.  Dave's guitar playing is one of
 the great musical treasures of the world, I wonder if he has any idea.

	I must have said this before, but there was some online Q&A
with Dave, possibly even one of the IRC chats they used to do, in which
someone asked him what his favourite instrument was at the moment and he
named a sequencer. This caused someone else on the chat to beg for more
guitar and he made appropriate noises but said something like, "but I
like sequencers..." So I think you're right, he doesn't know why we're
so keen on his guitar. But there's loads of people messing with
sequenceers out there, and many of them are doing *similar* stuff
because now anyone can set this sort of thing up on a laptop, but there
is *no-one* playing guitar who makes it sound like Brock,[1] and I don't
think he gets that :-( Yours,
			      Jon

[1] With the exception of the guitarist of the erstwhile doom band
Warhorse, who was playing rather different stuff but still sounded to me
like he had managed to replicate Dave's old Coloursound pedal by
sorcery. Their bassist was a big guy with mutton-chop sideburns and a
Rickenbacker, too. I figure they knew what they were doing... (Brilliant
live band, I was very upset when I heard they'd stopped.)

P.S. I've been having some trouble with the list today so if you pointed
anything at me I probably missed it, sorry.
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk