OFF, BRAIN: If you pirate music, you're downloading

Wed Apr 22 08:06:45 EDT 2009

communism!

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:46:30AM -0700, gary shindler typed out:
> I personally stopped downloading and burning years ago. A member
> recently offered me a burn and I turned it down. If I wanted it that
> bad I'd buy it and hopefully the artist would be compensated for my
> purchase.

	I resisted digital music for a while because of feelings like
this. Nowadays I regard MP3s as free promos; some day I'll get round to
buying genuine copies of the things I've got `unofficially', if I'm
listening to them. The problem is of course that that doesn't do the
artist much good, because the system is broke.

> I even try not to buy used copies, the artist doesn't get any pay for
> that. All those promo copies filling up record stores that DJs would
> hock for "other things" that comes out of the artist's advance. Albert
> wants to be paid for his work, that's not a crime.

	Maybe I don't have the way it works correct here, but the
artist is paid by the label releasing the album, right, according to how
many copies distributors pick up for sale to actual retailers. So the
artist with a conventional record deal is separated from the actual
buyer by three stages, except for sales at gigs where usually, if they
have a deal, they have to be a distributor and retailer as well, buying
stock to sell themselves. Have I got the model wrong?

	So take Albert as an example. Because of my being short of money
at the wrong time, I didn't get a copy of The Brain Surgeons' _Denial of
Death_ before Cellsum sold out of it. If I now buy one from Amazon
Marketplace or wherever, Albert doesn't get anything extra for that,
right? He's already been paid for that copy whether it reaches a
listener or not, because a distributor picked it up to sell to whatever
retailer I might pick. The only interest he has sales-wise in whether I
buy a copy or not is in whether the distributors subsequently remember
him as someone whose records shift. Assuming that someone involved knows
that Al Bouchard is linked to The Brain Surgeons NYC, that might just
help, but they won't get that information from the retailers except in
as much as they order more of Albert's next record. All I can do to help
Albert make money from here is badger my favoured supplier to stock his
next record if he makes one, I don't see any way he profits from my now
buying _Denial of Death_. I still will, because I want it, but he
doesn't get anything from it, so from his point of view it's only
propriety that means I shouldn't just rip my housemate's copy, right?

	That's what I call a broken rewards system, and anyone who
embraces a different business model can only surely be seeing sense,
because almost anything has to be better than that. But perhaps I have
details wrong somewhere. Set me straight, people?

	On another tBS note, I saw on a market stall in Cambridge the
other day a copy of what seems to be a Ross the Boss solo album--Manowar
is mentioned but I think only as part of its press puff--which has two
of the _Denial of Death_ tracks on it. Has anyone heard it? Yours,
								   Jon

ObCD: Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO - _Have You Seen The
Other Side of the Sky_ (bought at their gig, money direct to band)
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk