The Shield

mary maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Apr 29 09:58:52 EDT 2009

Sounds interesting.  I like shows with gray characters, it makes them more
human.  Only 1 problem,  no telepaths?  (ha, ha).

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of M Holmes
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:29 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: OFF: The Shield

> I don't like cop shows, so haven't watched it.  What's so good about it?

Basically that the good guys aren't always good, and the bad guys aren't
always bad. The central character, Vic, and his team kill a cop during the
first episode, basically because they're crooked and he's been sent to
spy on them (these aren't really spoilers).

That said though, Vic and his pals do manage to achieve some good as
they use police work to enrich themselves. The question is raised as to
whether, though rough methods and undercover work, they can achieve more
good than those cops who won't stray from the straight and narrow. The
storytelling is easily clever enough to have viewers rooting for Vic and
his boys.

The good cops, and politicians, are shown to have their own flaws
(laziness, ambition, etc). Meanwhile some of the truly bad guys are
shown to act with honour once in a while.

This shades-of-gray approach permits some fantastic storytelling and for
once, the cop-with-family-troubles cliche is stood on its head as those
become an integrated part of the plot.

Week by week the story builds. Each episode seems to have Vic juggling
too many balls in the air and his, and the team's comeuppance seems
inevitable. Yet the storytelling takes twists and turns so that this
doesn't always happen in expected ways, and the tension is ratcheted up
and up again.

It's violent and no two ways about it. In fact for the first half-dozen
episodes, Lucy and I weren't sure we'd be able to watch it. After that,
the storytelling itself gripped us. It really is a tribute to the skills
of the best in the business over in the US. We're about to get the last
ever episode of seven series here and I'm still agog to discover how it
all ends (I MEAN this: no spoilers on that...)

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.