OFF: Re: [mary: Re: OFF: Chrysalids]

Mike Montfort mike.montfort at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 29 11:37:29 EDT 2009

Actually its frAcking amazing. It has rewritten the book on SciFi. US or otherwise
------Original Message------
From: Steve Swann
Sender: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
ReplyTo: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
Subject: OFF: Re: [mary: Re: OFF: Chrysalids]
Sent: Apr 29, 2009 10:50 AM

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:28 AM, M Holmes <fofp at holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Mary Sez:
>
>> Thanks for the other recommendation for a story involving telepathy.
>> The reason why I loved Bab.  5 so much was the ongoing battle between
>> Besta and the renegade telepaths, also, all the characters are gray,
>> instead of the oh, so perfect characters in Star Trek
>
> Yes, I was a big Bab5 fan for the very same reason. It's also why I
> think "The Shield" is a wonderfully written cop show.

Have you by any chance watched the 2000s remake of Battlestar
Galactica?  I'm astonished that it managed to get made, it breaks all
the usual tropes of American TV s/f.  It has honest-to-god gray moral
issues, genuinely conflicted characters (as opposed to the usual
Hollywood "conflicts" derived from the Big Book of Hollywood Cliches),
it tackles politics, religion, sexuality, it doesn't shy away from the
awful ways that people behave under the effects of fear and
paranoia... it's freaking amazing.

Steve