HW: California Brainstorm

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Apr 30 08:26:01 EDT 2009

On 30 Apr 2009, at 06:44, Chris Warburton wrote:
> The production on Xenon Codex has dated very badly.  I think it was
> the
> esteemed Mr. Jarrett who very succinctly made the point about the
> horribly compressed drum sound that everybody used at that time.

Many strange things happened in the '80s .... :)

Well, I've no objection to a tad of gated reverb on the snare, but,
no, I'm not sure the drum processing on XC did Danny Thompson Jr. any
favours -- and there was lot of other processing slapped all over
everything else that IMO kind of sapped some of the life and power away.

> Mind you, I'm a bit of a purist: I don't think I've ever heard
> anything
> better recorded than the old Blue Notes done at Rudy van Gelder's
> place.
> Granted, it's probably impractical tor record HW albums direct to
> two-track with just a Blumlein pair suspended over the band! ;-{)>

I dunno!  That technique might not turn out so much worse than some
of the other approaches to studio recording they've used. :)  I guess
there were more than two mics in use for Space Ritual :) but they
could do (and have done) worse than that. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson