HW: California Brainstorm - xenon codex

iainferguson at AOL.COM iainferguson at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 30 08:46:42 EDT 2009

was in stealth mode on this, but will add...
Hopefully with the masters available to Cherry Red,?the frankly piss poor drum sound can be fixed, unless?the studio & someone made a daft decision?to?record the drums gated drums on to the 2" tape, rather than dry. Now no one would be that stupid would they...... but?as stated before it was the 80's?
It would mean we'd get a remixed & remastered version of the album, but then I think those early 80's albums, Choose your masques onwards could do with the drums being remixed and remastered, the sound is just too dated....
Will be very interested to hear what has been done with chronicles of the black sword.
?
iain

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 1:26 pm
Subject: Re: HW: California Brainstorm

On 30 Apr 2009, at 06:44, Chris Warburton wrote:?
> The production on Xenon Codex has dated very badly. I think it was > the?
> esteemed Mr. Jarrett who very succinctly made the point about the?
> horribly compressed drum sound that everybody used at that time.?
?
Many strange things happened in the '80s .... :)?
?
Well, I've no objection to a tad of gated reverb on the snare, but, no, I'm not sure the drum processing on XC did Danny Thompson Jr. any favours -- and there was lot of other processing slapped all over everything else that IMO kind of sapped some of the life and power away.?
?
> Mind you, I'm a bit of a purist: I don't think I've ever heard > anything?
> better recorded than the old Blue Notes done at Rudy van Gelder's > place.?
> Granted, it's probably impractical tor record HW albums direct to?
> two-track with just a Blumlein pair suspended over the band! ;-{)>?
?
I dunno! That technique might not turn out so much worse than some of the other approaches to studio recording they've used. :) I guess there were more than two mics in use for Space Ritual :) but they could do (and have done) worse than that. :)?
?
Cheers,?
Carl?
?