OFF: UK's premier green awareness festival under threat from police and local council.

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Aug 14 22:17:36 EDT 2009

On 14 Aug 2009, at 6:51 PM, Jonathan Jarrett wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Paul Mather wrote:
>
>> Well, sod the IPCC and its uncountable legions of scientists with
>> their so-called scientific consensus!  If Mike disagrees with them
>> then I'm backing Mike because he always has the Straight Dope and
>> that's the truth!!* Besides, he states things so forcefully, like
>> his facts are like axioms and so not to be quibbled with, that it's
>> hard to disagree with a chap like that.
>
> 	The trouble with the IPCC's uncountable consensus is that (a) it
> includes Al Gore's particular brand of excession and (b) there is a
> countable but growing consensus *against* their consensus too.

Sure, it's countable, but it's a small minority compared to the
consensus for climate change.  Nobody said everybody has to agree with
everyone else.  That's how science works.  You stick with the best
theory until something better comes along, even if the theory doesn't
explain everything.

> At which point, the cynic like me starts looking at who funds the
> relevant people, on either side, and wondering about agendas.

Yes, like the literally millions of dollars ExxonMobil alone has
funnelled into climate change denial "research" and various astroturf
front groups.  They and their ilk are far outspending the scientists
in the propaganda war.

>> [*] May not be the truth in all localities.  Void where prohibited.
>
> 	Not just that truth, it seems. But such is the way of knowledge
> based on incomplete evidence.

But evidence is always incomplete.  So far as I understand it,
physicists can't account for the lack of observable matter that should
be in the universe and so theorise about "dark matter" (which, AFAIK,
nobody has ever observed) to make their equations balance nicely.
But, despite such lack of evidence, we don't damn all physicists as
charlatans and write off physics as a load of bunkum, do we?  Medicine
doesn't have any rigourous scientific laws about disease, but that
doesn't stop us from going to the doctor, does it?  Look at any
scientific discipline and you will find flaws.  It is the nature of
science: it is evolving and ongoing.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu