Heaven & Hell

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 26 12:09:35 EDT 2009

They removed some of the H&H/Mob Rules material to make room for doing
tunes from the new album.  Have to say, the newer material sounds a
little drab to me, it's a bit meandering and doesn't have the driving,
monster riffage that the classic Dio Sabbath (not even to mention Ozzy
Sabbath) material had.  But happily for me they chose to keep keep
Falling Off The Edge of the World, which is my personal favorite.
(Although they did drop Sign of the Southern Cross - fortunately for
me that was *after* I'd seen them perform it twice previously).  And
of course, they've turned their eponymous song into a 15 minute epic
with crowd participation, special f/x and the whole shebang.  It was
slightly cheezy and perhaps even a bit pandering, but it's all done in
such a good spirit of fun that I couldn't help but love it.  ;-)

If you're on old Dio Sabbath fan, I would recommend even traveling to
see the show if you have to.  When I was waffling about whether I
wanted to go see it on a tuesday night, it occurred to me that even
though they seem to be getting along FAR FAR better than other
incarnations of Black Sabbath have (or even previous Dio-Sabbath
incarnations, for that matter) ;-) they're probably not going keep
doing this forever...

Steve