Alan Davey Vision Quest Request

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Dec 14 07:31:56 EST 2009

I sent a copy (probably one of many sent by others!), which Mary says has arrived.

Ah, Bedouin!  Alan put together a stonking live act there, which I am grateful to have managed to see two or three times.  I think he spent too long trying to hold out for a major label record deal, though.  The late '90s were the glory days of the "stoner rock" movement and Bedouin should have tried to get onto the likes of Man's Ruin (while it existed!) or (the still excellent, and home of Litmus) Rise Above in order to fire out a few more albums to get established.  Instead, there was this long gap between Alan's solo albums  _Captured Rotation_ in 1996 and _Bedouin_ in 1997 ... and the proper Bedouin studio album in 2001 ... and then it all tumbled to a halt a year or so later!  I can't help but feel with the right kind of direction in there, Bedouin could have had a better shot at, if not the "Big Time", then at least a fairly solid niche.

Since then, of course, the trend in that niche has shifted away from "stoner rock" to something more like "epic doom metal" ... but -- in an infinitely probable alternate universe -- Alan's Bedouin has recently produced a fine "Arabic space doom" concept album for Rise Above based around Lovecraft's character "Abdul Alhazred". If only I could dimension hop to the right universe in order to hear it! :)

Cheer,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson