Knights of Space audio mix

John Majka jmajk at INDY.RR.COM
Mon Feb 23 17:17:40 EST 2009

I think the HW interview is just a sort of after-the-fact apology for the
release, which is clearly a multitrack recording, although one that's poorly
mixed.  I don't mind the vocals, so if HW had the flu, it didn't seem to
affect the performance any.  The theremin is indeed audible in dribs and
drabs here and there, proving that it was in fact plugged in.  It's just the
miserable mix of instrumentation that detracts from what could have been a
stellar release.  We all know that Dave has been mixing himself lower and
lower over time, but KOS is the apex of that approach, where his guitar
almost ceases to exist for much of the show, even though it is quite audible
and lovely for Robot, for example.  Now if we could just get that Roadburn
show released....
John Majka