HW 40th Anniversay Show

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Feb 25 11:02:27 EST 2009

On 20 Feb 2009, at 10:02 AM, Lost Johnny wrote:

> Mike ,I don't think I have ever seen a one person show with the one
> man
> using anything but an acoustic guitar .

I remember one year at the Blacksburg Annual Summer Festival, Steppin'
Out, seeing a one-person show called "That One Guy with the Magic
Pipe" (http://www.that1guy.com) who played... a weird steel pipe.  (It
wasn't just any old steel pipe.  It was rigged all over with sensors
and such that were hooked up to sequencers and synthesisers, which he
played all in real time.  He also had a couple of drum pedals and
such.)  He got an amazing array of sounds and rhythms out of that pipe.

Also, perhaps tangentially Hawkwind-related, there's always Ed Alleyne-
Johnson with his violin.  He plays through various delays and effects
boxes to make himself sound like a whole quartet!  (E.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvv0lzjQQ8s)
   I'd pay to hear that!

I've also seen a few other one-person performances that haven't been
an acoustic guitar, e.g., one bloke who was playing a Chapman Stick.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

         --- Frank Vincent Zappa