HW 40th Anniversay Show

mary maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Feb 25 16:42:47 EST 2009

Hi Ian,
I find your posting to be right on, well thought out.  Having worked with
Hawkwind I know what you mean.  Some days I'd think Dave gets tired of
people's expectations of their image of Dave Brock.  It must get trying at
times, and be a real joy at others.  My hand would probably get tired from
signing so many people's collections.
I tend to think of the vibes within the hawkwind scene to be that of a very
large and dysfunctional family as opposed to encampments, but that's a
perspective taken from later than your history with the band,   as a fan, or
otherwise.  About us having the privilege of Hawkwind being such a long term
part of our lives, you're absolutely right. Although we might like a copy of
a show we were at, it's a matter of collecting for us, and making a living
to the musicians. We should respect the wishes of band members (past and
present), concerning their music and their personal lives.  I can understand
sharing anecdotes, or criticizing a performance, but to disrespect the band
is not right.  I hope they do see our postings, since there is a lot of
strong feedback in the forums to keep the lines of communication clear
between the band and fans.

Best wishes,

Mary
-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of Ian Abrahams
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:45 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: HW 40th Anniversay Show

Not sure if they read BOC-L, though they definitely still read the yahoo
list but you're right, knowing that there's a possibility of them reading
ought to require people to show a little restrain and respect. It's their
hard work and dedication that means there's still a Hawkwind to discuss here
and I think that gets overlooked at times.

That doesn't preclude discussion of the various merits or de-merits (is that
a word?) of specific releases but ought to temper some of the stronger
commentary really.

On the other hand, there is a good argument (I've tried to explain this here
or on yahoo a few times without much success) that artists are best off not
getting involved in their own fandom because that way can only really lie
disappointment because the nature of fans is that they bitch and moan
(sometimes seriously, sometimes in jest) about the thing they most love -
but if your involvement with fandom is not from that perspective it's easy
to misinterpret what goes on.

Ian

From: M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK

Is this kind of pessimism actually achieving anything except depressing
us and potentially upsetting Kris and Dave if they're reading it?

.