HW Space Ritual

Mon Jan 26 11:55:50 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 03:31:40PM +0000, Ian Abrahams typed out:
> What????? The likes of Jerry Richards are *really* not to be
> classified in the 'shambles' terms... or, to be honest, neither are
> people like Dave Anderson who to me is a very together guy. I think
> Nik's perference for playing a bit unrehearsed and ad-hoc sort of goes
> towards people thinking this but I've seen Space Ritual a lot and I
> think they are a highly enjoyable, well together band who are getting
> better and better. So, umm, didn't really agree with this Jon :)

	I think I've spoken too harshly here. It strikes me that I
haven't seen Space Ritual for a while now, after three dull gigs in a
row, so they might have improved quite a lot. There seems to be a
London gig coming up, I ought to repair this. Anyway, no, Jerry and Dave
Anderson both know what they're doing and Jerry especially is a sterling
performer, but when I last saw Space Ritual it was a case like Bernard
Shaw's response to the lone person booing after a premiere of some play
of his: "I agree Sir, but what are you and I against so many?" Two
excellent performers alone can't make the Crimble-Ollis
one-speed-fits-all rhythm section more exciting by themselves. But, time
I saw them again I suppose... Yours,
				     Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk