Book a Space combo for your private party

Wed Jan 28 08:24:21 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 05:26:53PM -0000, trev typed out:
> Here is an idea which is catching on in the USA...House gigs
>
> In the states they are putting on full bands (Bigger houses and more space)
> but to put a small relatively low-volume combo on at a party at home would
> be a practical proposition over here.

	Actually some of the Disarray stuff that the late and lamented
Larry Boyd sent me was recorded at such gigs. This means that there's
two numbers where they get shut down by the police. One of them is
especially good because the police gave them five minutes to play one
more song so the band did two in the time. But yes! It seems to work, at
times.

> Nik and Harvey are one duo who might fill the bill
> Trev and Kev of course who are tailor-made for such things
> I'm sure that musicians like Ron Tree, Alan Davey, Jerry Richards etc would
> have little trouble knocking a duo together if they wanted.

	Am I right in thinking that it does have to be a duo, however,
because more than two musicians means you're into licensing issues? In
the UK, I mean. There's a lot of pubs round here with *awful* duos whose
entire business is founded on the fact that lots of places can't put on
real bands. That said, any of the bunches you mention here could perform
as a duo no problem. In fact the only one I haven't heard of doing so in
the past is Alan (Harvey's played with Dibs as extra musician but can
fill a stage solo, Jerry had Paradogs and Trev and Kev are of course
legends in their own lifetime already). I just wish the pubs round here
had as many decent musicians and/or freaks to draw on. Yours,
							       Jon

n/p Luke Abbot - `On Tuesday'
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk