OFF: Withnail & I

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Jul 13 10:58:16 EDT 2009

On 13 Jul 2009, at 02:55, Owen O'Neill wrote:
> Someone said here it was a good movie, a little short of a year
> ago. Then I
> asked someone else about it, one of the types of people who're always
> getting told which intellectual movies to watch by and he said "no,
> no it's
> no big deal it's come up somehow recently and everyone's watching
> it"-- our
> highly discriminating circles who think only of high art.  Then I
> decided to
> watch it and thought it was OK!

Indeed it is.  But "come up somehow recently"?  Surely Withnail & I
has been a cult film staple virtually since its initial release in
the late '80s?  (Though it's stature especially outside of Britain
was doubtless aided, as for most cult films, by the advent of VHS and
then DVD releases.)

Cheers,
Carl

--