Fw: Re: Hawk Beer

Jill Strobridge jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Thu Jun 18 15:11:07 EDT 2009

I know, I know - I'm cross-posting but this thread has been running for a while on the "other" list and I thought the following might be of interest to folk here who might not already have read it.

jill
Jill Strobridge <jill.strobridge at blueyonder.co.uk>
----- Original Message -----
From: hawklordhawkwind
To: Hawkwind at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:23 AM
Subject: [Hawkwind] Re: Hawk Beer

Just getting back to the start of this thread I've found that there really is "Hawkwind" beer out there !

1) My 1st discovery was a brew called "7 by 7" from E&S Elland Brewery. Apparently a commemorative brew that uses 7 types of malt and 7 types of hop. E&S use a lot of rock music connotations when naming their beers but I believe in thi s case they did know the connection, this despite the font clip having 7 small aliens and definate "space" look to it !

2) Next up was the afformentioned "Brock" fron Thornbridge.

3) And now my most significant find to date - Imagine popping in to your local to find a beer called "Hawklord" and a font clip that has more than a passing nod to the In Search of Space cover ! Am happy to say its all true, brewed by the Fern andes Brewery in Wakefield.

4) I now find there is a definate connection with Fernandes and the Wind as the following week I've a pint of "Brocks Bitter" in my hand. A week later I'm drinking "Golden Void" in a bar in Manchester and the following week while in Scarborough I find a brew called "Ghost Dance", all of these are from Fernandes so when I went to the Space Ritual gig I decided to seek out the source, I went to the Brewery Tap to find "Sundown" and a new clip for the "Hawklor d" - turns out the brewer is a massive fan (hello and thanks if you're here !). Apparently the brew house rings out with Hawkwind music most of the time and when stuck for a name for a new brew he heads staright for his music collection !

5) My latest discovery on this theme is a brew called "Brainstorm" but yet to discover who brews etc.

These are all true brews BTW, if anyone would like pics of the font clips let me know, happy to share !