Hawkwind next CD

Sun Mar 1 18:43:04 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 03:55:08PM -0600, mike coleman typed out:
> I never understaood complaints about Distant Horizons (me now rambling,
> nothing to do with your posts)
> I think just "Wheels" makes it a certified masterpiece worthy of silver and
> gold awards as well as a 180 gm vinyl press
> and "Phetamine Street"
> geez what a treasure chest......

	I realise that this is akin to posting about _Club Ninja_ on the
BÖC side of the list, but yes, I'm rather fond of DH. That said, if it's
going to get a makeover from the Cherry Red reissue process then I'd
happily replace my original one; at best one would have to admit it's a
diamond in the rough. I prefer the _Hawkwind 1997_ version of `Wheels'
however, partly because it loses Dave's mawkish environmentalist
platitudes (he is right! but gods he sounds like a lost hippy) and
otherwise because it's one of the very few places where Captain Rizz
actually contributed something. As Jon Browne (hey, remember him?) said
when it came out, that "Fleeee Babylon!" howl really works well there.
And I loved `Reptoid Vision' when it was new, but that was before I
realised quite how long Ron would be using the same words... Ah dear,
those were the days. Ron seemed unstoppable and Hawkwind was all guitars
and attitude. Also, quite often, chaos and equipment breakdowns, but who
cares to remember those? etc. Yours,
				     Jon

ObCD: Alan Davey - _Human on the Outside_
--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk