HW 40th Anniversary Show

SHLL (Scott Heller) shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Tue Mar 17 06:19:53 EDT 2009

Hello

Interesting input Jon. Pity I won't meet you at Roadburn this year...

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to the HW 40th Anniversary show. I have no pre-expectations but I don't expect a lot of folks from any of the classic line up's of Hawkwind. I think the best Dave could try to pull together would be the live 79 like line up and get Tim, Huw, Dave,...but harvey is not playing bass anymore and probably will not join anyway.

This line up you wrote below:

The regular line-up plus :Huw, Martin Griffin, Keith Hale, Bridget, Crum, Rizz and Matthew Wright as likelies, which starts to look like a dual-drummer _Choose Your Masques_ sort of line-up with guest vocalists and lots of keyboard. Not exactly a 40th anniversary gig in and of itself but probably worth seeing. Then if we add possibles, guest appearances from Lemmy, if Lemmy Alan, Steve Swindells, Del, Dik Mik...

Not sure how exciting this would be... I actually think the best bet would be for the current line up to just play a great concert with like one song from every studio record and then invite distinct guests in for one or two songs and leave it at that. I think trying to get people in who have not played much leaves to a major drop in quality like what we saw at the Hawkestra, even though it was fun..

Just my thoughts...

scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Jarrett [mailto:jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK]
Sent: 16. marts 2009 11:04
Subject: Re: HW 40th Anniversary Show

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 09:08:23AM +0100, SHLL (Scott Heller) typed out:
> I have been tossing some mails back and forth with a few about the
> Portchester Hall gigs in August and I now, really curious what
> ex-hawkwind members could actually show up and play. I wonder if they
> have announced this without actually signing anyone on board. If we
> make a list of the ex-members, besides Huw Lloyd Langton (who I am not
> really sure can play electric space rock anymore as he was a disaster
> the last two times I saw him), who else is there:
>
> These people will not play with Dave and Co (at least I don't think):
>
> Nik, dave anderson, simon house, alan davey, lemmy, jerry richards,
> ron tree, terry ollis, Thomas Crimble, michael moorcock (probably too
> ill), adrian shaw, Mick Slattery, Steve Swindells, Harvey Bainbridge,
> Bridget Wishart, Danny Thompson..

	This looks like a game for the cynics to play! I think there are two different sets here, those who won't play with Dave & Co. and those with whom Dave won't play, for example Nik in the former camp and Ron in the latter. If Dave was prepared to relax a bit about the exiles (and you know, pay in advance) I think this number could be reduced.

> Maybe:
>
> Crum, dik mik, del dettmar, Stacia, martin Griffiths, alan powell,
> Paul Rudolph (haven't heard of him in years...), Ginger Baker, Andy
> Anderson, Arthur Brown, Steve Hale, John Harrison
>
> I probably have missed a few but it seems to me that Dave only has a
> few pretty obscure Hawkwind members to choose from...
>
> What do people think or predict??

	Well, let's have a go:

Dave himself is obviously in
Mick Slattery possibly not out of solidarity with the Ritual but who
	knows?
John Harrison lost in showbiz and probably not `match-fit'
Nik, yes, well I don't think so, nor do I think it would be a good gig
	if it could be arranged
Terry Ollis, as Mr Slattery really
Dik Mik, don't see why not to be honest though I may not know enough Huw, almost without doubt Thomas Crimble, as Mick Slattery but personally I hope he stays clear Dave Anderson, I can't imagine he's welcome in the fold Del, has worked more with Nik than anyone in recent years but might be
	willing if paid for transport
Lemmy, despite what Scott says I think would be in if paid Twink, ha ha please no Simon King, no personal grief as far as I know but wasn't in shape to
	play for Hawkestra and I don't suppose he'd do it for this less,
	even if he still can (but if he could it would be ace) Simon House, I guess might but he doesn't seem to be well enough to play
	with anyone live at the moment
Alan Powell has been a Nikwind drummer in the USA and played Hawkestra
	II so I guess is Nik's before Dave's but I don't see why he
	shouldn't
Moorcock would at least do telephone vocals again I'm sure Paul Rudolph seems no longer to be on the map for anyone Adrian Shaw wouldn't, and that's that Harvey I guess also wouldn't, which is sad, at least not without a lot
	of back wages
Martin Griffin keeps turning up at Hawkfest and therefore I guess is in Steve Swindells is clearly Nik's friend but does anyone know that he
        wouldn't play with the genuine Hawks if asked? Don't see why not
	myself
Tim Blake obviously yes
Ginger Baker well never mind
Keith Hale is out there and I can't see why he wouldn't if asked Dead Fred won't play live for anyone these days Andy Anderson isn't playing any more, is he?
Rik Martinez, unknown
Clive Deamer probably has better things to do but would if offered money
	I'm sure
Alan Davey, oh come on, if Lemmy was on and Dave apologised he'd be back
	for it
Danny Thompson, Scott seems to know of bad blood that I don't, I would
	have thought he'd be in
Richard Chadwick, yes
Bridget, I would have thought might do it for the one gig given as she
	seems to be making music again
Steve Bemand, don't know anything here
Ron Tree is I guess not welcome but Dave should get over it and let him
	front, it would be brilliant one more time Jerry Richards probably won't come back Crum might well Captain Rizz could probably not be kept away Dibs is in Steve Taylor and Steve Hayes presumably never again Keith Kniveton, well I have no idea what happened there Jeremy Huggett, as far as is known available, right?
Arthur Brown, no
Keith Barton, I don't know here either
Matthew Wright, obviously would
Niall Hone, is in

So that gives us, well the regular line-up plus Huw, Martin Griffin, Keith Hale, Bridget, Crum, Rizz and Matthew Wright as likelies, which starts to look like a dual-drummer _Choose Your Masques_ sort of line-up with guest vocalists and lots of keyboard. Not exactly a 40th anniversary gig in and of itself but probably worth seeing. Then if we add possibles, guest appearances from Lemmy, if Lemmy Alan, Steve Swindells, Del, Dik Mik...

	I mean I think the problem here is that because Hawkwind's greatest through-put has been in drummers and keyboardists it would be very easy to completely crowd out a stage, and indeed a setlist, with keyboard and percussion. To make it a viable *performance* I think Dave either needs to stick to that core above or whatever is really viable, or else apologise enough or pay enough to get Ron, Jerry and Alan back on for the gig, in an ideal world Simon House and Keith Kniveton too, and basically play like it was 2001 again. I know I keep harking back to that year but it was a brilliant line-up. What I *don't* think he should do is try to get as many ex-members on stage at once as all they could really do is a chorus sing-along of `Silver Machine'. Nik's Hawkestra II was as close as anyone should ever get to that and I was amazed that worked as well as it did. Yours,
				 Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)  Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk