Atomhenge Live Chronicles (was Re: HW 40th Anniversary Show)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Mar 19 08:28:01 EDT 2009

On 19 Mar 2009, at 06:29 , Steve Swann wrote:
> What I'm hoping for is that it will be better mastered than the
> Griffin release, which always sounded muted/muddy to me.  As a
> result I always ended up listening to the original despite it bein
> an incomplete concert record....

Well, I await the report from your critical ear then.  _Live
Chronicles_ is a mighty album and a HW high point, for all that I
feel more drawn towards the Palace Springs lineup ....

In fact, I'll happily say that the band turned out more good material
with the 80s-Huw lineups than with the Brock/Davey/Chadwick/House/
Bainbridge lineup (which barely produced part of the semi-live album
that is Palace Springs).  It's just the ... *vibe* on those bits of
_Palace Springs_ that attracts me.

And, somehow, HW seems _right_ to me when there is just Brocks guitar
grinding away on its own -- for all that I can't really imagine
something like "Shot Down in the Night" without Huw's part.  Strange
really; when I go and home-record my own space-rock things, I
invariably end up with at least a couple of guitars scattered around
it, despite my model being the 1-guitar HW incarnations.  Go figure.
Well, it's all of a part, I suppose!

Cheers,
Carl

--