Atomhenge Live Chronicles (was Re: HW 40th Anniversary Show)

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 19 10:27:58 EDT 2009

Further to your point, a great part of my obsession with Hawkwind as a live unit has to do with how their sound can vary unbelievably from one era to another and yet still sound unmistakably Hawkwind.  In my opinion the "unmistakably" bit is the monster slab of Brock guitar that everything else is layered on top of.  So long as you've got Dave and the rythm section creating that core Hawkwind sound**, you can have any talented soloist add the frills on top: violin, synth, electric guitar, flute, saxophone - it all fucking rocks.  Huw just happens to be my favorite of the many and varied "embellishers" of Hawkwind's sound.  :)

** in fact when I saw them as a 3-piece, they basically had -just- that unmistakable core Hawkwind sound.  It was interesting to note that the songs still sounded great when stripped of all frills and embellishments.  It was like it got more at the core rock sound that's underneath the skin of all of their songs...

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at CARLAZ.COM>
Date: Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 8:33 am
Subject: Re: Atomhenge Live Chronicles (was Re: HW 40th Anniversary Show)
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

On 19 Mar 2009, at 06:29 , Steve Swann wrote:
 What I'm hoping for is that it will be better mastered than the
 Griffin release, which always sounded muted/muddy to me.  As a
 result I always ended up listening to the original despite it bein
 an incomplete concert record....

Well, I await the report from your critical ear then.  _Live
Chronicles_ is a mighty album and a HW high point, for all that I
feel more drawn towards the Palace Springs lineup ....

In fact, I'll happily say that the band turned out more good material
with the 80s-Huw lineups than with the Brock/Davey/Chadwick/House/
Bainbridge lineup (which barely produced part of the semi-live album
that is Palace Springs).  It's just the ... *vibe* on those bits of
_Palace Springs_ that attracts me.

And, somehow, HW seems _right_ to me when there is just Brocks guitar
grinding away on its own -- for all that I can't really imagine
something like "Shot Down in the Night" without Huw's part.  Strange
really; when I go and home-record my own space-rock things, I
invariably end up with at least a couple of guitars scattered around
it, despite my model being the 1-guitar HW incarnations.  Go figure.
Well, it's all of a part, I suppose!

Cheers,
Carl

--