HW: Knights of Space audio mix

Fri Mar 20 12:14:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 03:05:24PM -0600, mike coleman typed out:
> also, isn't it maybe time Hawkwind was moving on label-wise,   going by
> their own history, and maybe this is what we are witnessing, just a thought

	Well, they have been trying to leave Voiceprint for some time,
haven't they? There was the EMI deal that fell through, there was talk
of a deal with Sanctuary, and I waas quite surprised with the Cherry Red
thing too. But somehow it keeps being Voiceprint. Now, why would that
be? Well, people with long memories round here may recall that before
Mike C. returned to this particular digital fold, I found myself sitting
on a train opposite Arthur Brown, and once I'd dared to open the
conversation, the merits or not of Voiceprint came up because they'd
just re-released the Kingdom Come albums with a single set of liner
notes repeated between the three and a dreadful new sleeve each. He said
to me, he said something like, "Well, you have to think very hard about
this sort of thin, because at the end of the day a label like Sanctuary
will give you forty pence per CD sold and Voiceprint will give you one
pound twenty." I've never really wondered why Hawkwind can't quite bring
themselves to do without Voiceprint since that conversation. Yours,
								    Jon

--
"When fortune wanes, of what assistance are quantities of elephants?"
	    (Juvaini, Afghan Muslim chronicler, c. 1206)
 Jon Jarrett, Fitzwilliam Museum, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk