If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Mar 25 08:38:39 EDT 2009

On 25 Mar 2009, at 7:26 AM, Albert Bouchard wrote:

> So I guess you think it's OK to steal music? What about other stuff?

Even if you accept that stealing music is wrong, and that these
criminals are doing a terrible thing, do you think that a $150,000
fine is an appropriate punishment commensurate with the crime?  Would
you be fined $150,000 if you obtained via the five-fingered discount a
CD containing the same music from a regular bricks and mortar store?
(Or even that the $750 lower limit mentioned in the article is
appropriate.)

What gets me nervous is that the whole thing stinks of legal policy
being dictated by lobbyists.  Then, of course, there's the law of
unintended consequences aspect that worries me.  Look at what happened
when the penalties for possession of soft drugs like marijuana were
ramped up for political reasons: the prison population skyrocketed and
is buckling under the strain with no appreciable effect on consumption
or attitudes.  Sure, these people broke the law, but does the
punishment fit the crime?

I just wonder if the "slap 'em with heavy fines" route is a very
creative (or likely to succeed) solution to the problem.  Maybe next
they'll advocate the death penalty as a deterrent for illegal
downloading.  (They already posited it for hardware...)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

         --- Frank Vincent Zappa