64-bit audio (was: Re: If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Mar 26 09:32:47 EDT 2009

On 26 Mar 2009, at 8:41 AM, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> On 26 Mar 2009, at 07:34, Swartz, John A. wrote:
>> And how do you want your music produced?  64-bit recordings on Blu-
>> ray?
>

> Sure, why not? :)  After all, as the internet gets faster 16-bit CD
> audio will start to seem small and dinky. :)

Why wait?  I think you should pioneer this format yourself.  And
here's how: all you need to do is insert random numbers into the lower
32 bits or so of each sample and you'll have something approaching
what the real thing would be should it ever arrive.

Seriously, though, there is even argument that 24-bit audio runs up
against the quantisation limits of A/D hardware: in essence that the
lower bits are just random noise and are not giving you any real
information because the hardware cannot resolve that sufficiently. I
can appreciate going to 32-bits as an editing format, to give
numerical headroom when performing signal processing algorithms, but
64-bit would be redundant as a listening format---certainly until the
human perceptual system itself undergoes a massive evolution and is
able to perceive finer just-noticeable-differences than it currently
does.  (Humans do not perceive loudness or pitch linearly.)

Besides, in the history of digital audio, word length has not been the
enemy of fidelity, lossy compression has.  Even if you went to 64-bit
audio, lossy compression would still be trying to throw away as many
of those 64-bit samples as it could. :-)  Better for all around if
lossless formats became de facto, with lossy used as a temporary
format used only for resource-limited portable listening devices or lo-
fi previews.

Sad to realise it, but as technology has improved audio fidelity has
gone down.  How bizarre!  (It's all down to a triumph of marketing/
convenience, I reckon.)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu