If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Arjan Hulsebos arjanh at WOLFPACK.NL
Thu Mar 26 09:40:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:34:01 -0400, Swartz, John A. wrote

> Hey, I've spent hundreds of dollars from the iTunes music store -
>  all music that I could have gone to a store and purchased on CD if
> I wanted to.  Apple didn't put a gun to my head, and I've gotten
> lots of music that I wanted at a reasonable price - and as long as I
> take care of my electronic copies and back up my files, I'll never
> need to find those particular songs likely ever again (unlike when I
> first had them on vinyl or 8-track, then cassette, then ANOTHER
> cassette when the first one wore out, then CD...).

Well.....if the stuff is DRMed, then you also depend on the distributer's
authentication servers. When they're gone, your electronic copies won't play
anymore. You only get to lease music when it's DRMed, you don't own it (as you
whould when buying, say, a CD).