If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Steve Swann swann1066 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 26 13:00:27 EDT 2009

The makers of Soundblaster are a small company?  You learn something new every day.  :)

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Smith <smithjm77x7 at GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 9:23 am
Subject: Re: If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!
To: Reply-    BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET>To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET

It's great to have a healthy discussion!

As far as I am concerned, buying from *iTunes* is like flushing your money down the toilet. I certainly feel no moral obligation towards Apple or Steve Jobs. Like Microsoft, Apple is very happy to steal other people's ideas. For example, they stole the design for the controls for the iPod from Creative, a small and innovative Singapore company. They happily paid up US$100 million in fines, which you helped them pay.:)

I have bought from eMusic. They have a much better value for money system, but they bare shunned by the more greedy artists becuse they don't cxharge enough.

MP3 and Apples' files are quite poor quality if you listen to them on a decdent hi-fi system, even burned onto a CD/ DVD. 24-bit DVD Audio and SACD's have been around for ages. Lossless FLAC files are now easy to distribute. Better qualilty Blu-Ray-- yes, please!!

I do buy Hawkwind's CDs because I want them to get royalties-- I wish they got 100% of the cost (how they nwould distribute betwen themselves is another issue) and I still like CDs-- although they will be a thing of the past soon.

To be honest I am more of an anarchist than a 'good morning device' so I don't really care that much at the of the day. ;) We live in a world
governed by violent cleptocracies.

More enough cents from me....

2009/3/26 Swartz, John A. <jswartz at mitre.org>

> > I am very willing to buy from a band's web site, or someone like
 Atomhenge
 > who doing such a good job, but I also feel that I've been ripped off time
 > and again by record companies.

> Agree.  It is, however, not possible to set up a system by which people are
 "willing to buy from" because they don't feel that they are being ripped off
 from.  People seem to feel that because the record companies have ripped
 them off (and I agree that we have been), that they have the right to
 download and copy music illegally.

 > Worst of all is iTunes, where you don't even get anything physical  for
 > your
 > money, but Apple have made billions from marketing this con.
 >

> Hey, I've spent hundreds of dollars from the iTunes music store - all music
 that I could have gone to a store and purchased on CD if I wanted to.  Apple
 didn't put a gun to my head, and I've gotten lots of music that I wanted at
 a reasonable price - and as long as I take care of my electronic copies and
 back up my files, I'll never need to find those partic