If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Albert Bouchard albert at CELLSUM.COM
Thu Mar 26 21:51:57 EDT 2009

I wonder where you get that 90% figure. In my experience most people
who download music download songs that are already popular. Otherwise
the RIAA wouldn't have a leg to stand on. They do not use downloading
as a way to "discover" new acts. They have internet radio to do that
and much of it is quite good IMHO. I think that most people who
download obscure acts do it because said acts, while being quite
excellent in musical and other ways, have gotten discouraged and
broken up by the time the true music enthusiast has actually
discovered them. An ironic shame really.

Am I upset because people download my mixes of Imaginos? No, because
they would not be available otherwise. Maybe the folks at Sony would
because they own the masters but it's already been paid for by me and
the other guys in BOC so it should really be no skin off their noses.
But the RIAA is standing up for people who've invested a lot of time
and money into their craft and don't feel it's right for their work to
be distributed for free. That's the bottom line, if you created it
then you should have a say in what people should have to do to get it.
Lots of artists give their music away for free and even more don't
mind if people download it. There's plenty of music that is available
for free. Why should people need to steal it? Isn't this obvious?

I am sorry but much of the many arguments presented here just sound
like rationalization. Is it really stealing? We're just getting our
share from greedy people. It's a technology issue. Apple stole the
iPod from Creative (who stole their drawing pad from wacom). Everybody
lies, everybody steals. But it still comes down to that same bottom
line. If we sanction stealing are we not becoming morally bankrupt?
Al