If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Arjan Hulsebos arjanh at WOLFPACK.NL
Fri Mar 27 07:06:43 EDT 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 03:07:23 -0600, Alex S. Garcia wrote

> I think the whole problem comes from the fact that the RIAA/labels/artists
> (some anyway) consider downloading as stealing. Whereas downloaders don't.

The problem is that the music industry (or the entertainment industry for that
matter) is just that: an industry. They take raw material (i.e. the creativity
of artists), and make a product out of it (CDs, DVDs, games, etc.) which they
can sell for a profit. As they're a business, making profit is their main
focus, and they'll do just about anything to protect their interests.

> If I borrow a CD, the artist doesn't get paid either. Is that
> stealing too? Heck, even copying a borrowed CD is not seen as stealing.

When you borrow a CD, the guy or gal you borrowed it from, can't play it, so
there's no lost revenue there. If you were to copy that borrowed CD, there is
lost revenue. The music industry considers that to be stealing.

I haven't looked at this carefully, but I think that borrowing a CD, and
inviting someone over to listen to a CD, are considered to be copyright
infringements by the music industry.

Gr,

Arjan H