If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Arjan Hulsebos arjanh at WOLFPACK.NL
Fri Mar 27 08:33:41 EDT 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 05:56:43 -0600, Alex S. Garcia wrote
> > If you were to copy that borrowed CD, there is
> > lost revenue. The music industry considers that to be stealing.
>
> Okay. But I've never heard of anyone getting sued (even less
> convicted) for copying a CD (or vinyl/tape in the old days). Most
> convictions I've heard of tended to concern folks who had SOLD
> copied material. Which I think makes a lot more sense.

I'm sure that if the music industry could get a hold of the traffic
information from the ISPs, they'd sue everyone who'd been downloading.

> > I haven't looked at this carefully, but I think that borrowing a CD, and
> > inviting someone over to listen to a CD, are considered to be copyright
> > infringements by the music industry.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if they did :-o Would they have a case in
> court, though, that's an entirely different issue.

Well, an employer was fined a couple of weeks ago because he allowed his
employees to listen to their iPods at work...

Gr,

Arjan H