If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Mar 27 09:04:08 EDT 2009

On 26 Mar 2009, at 20:51, Albert Bouchard wrote:
> Am I upset because people download my mixes of Imaginos? No,
> because they would not be available otherwise.

I freely confess that I stole that off the Internet myself!  I wanted
to hear it and there, it was, and wasn't anyone to buy it from legally.

Had Sony or whoever coughed up that stuff as bonus tracks or boxed
set stuff or whatever, would I have bought it?  Of course!  Gods know
I've bought piles of stuff from bands I love just to get weird
rarities.  Would I have bought it even faster had Sony or whoever
offered me CD-quality downloads at digital-delivery prices?  Absolutely.

And had Albert bootlegged it himself and sold it to me from under his
overcoat on a street corner would I have bought it from him.  Sure.
After all: I'm a fan, I want to hear the music, and if someone will
sell it to me legitimately, then I'll get it legitimately.  If I
can't get it legitimately, though, then I'll get it some other way,
if I can.  My morals rapidly bankrupt themselves when the thing is
available _only_ in a less than legitimate way.

I think if the music industry meets the demand that surely exists
with a legitimate supply, the people will go down that road.  But
they will have to build a better mousetrap before the world is going
to beat a path back to their door.

Cheers,
Carl

--