If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Alex S. Garcia asg at MECREANT.ORG
Fri Mar 27 16:46:28 EDT 2009

> I think this is one of the keys to downloading music, either legally
> or illegally.  People want music (evidently).  And people want
> getting that music to be easy.  When it became easier to listen to
> music on CD than on cassette or vinyl, people rushed to buy CDs.
> When it became easier to download stuff than buy CDs, people started
> doing it.  The iTMS, whatever one thinks of it, proves that there is
> a market for selling downloads -- however, it's clearly not easy
> enough yet.  But I think if one convinces people that it is
> "easier" (and that's a concept that includes formats, and bit rates,
> and price points, and everything) to buy the music than steal it,
> then people will buy it.  What the music industry has failed to do is
> implement that easiness.

Yes! I totally agree with this. I think you nailed it :-)

> I will never cease to find it
> bizarre how much time the music industry wrings its hands about
> piracy in contrast to how little time they spend trying to offer a
> functional alternative.

Amen to that.

I've always said that the industry should try to find a viable solution
instead of wasting time (and money) trying to stop something that they
cannot stop.

Alex.