If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

Arjan Hulsebos arjanh at WOLFPACK.NL
Sat Mar 28 05:03:57 EDT 2009

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:21:38 -0600, Alex S. Garcia wrote

> I would totally agree with this if THAT was what we were sold in stores.
> Meaning if I buy a CD and what I'm buying is actually the 1s and 0s (ie
> the music, not the CD itself) then if I lose it or it wears out or
> whatnot, I should be able to get another copy without paying for it.

I'm not too sure about this. If my car wears out, I don't get a free
replacement, either.

> So things need to change. Either make us buy the physical object
> (and stop bugging us about downloads) or make us buy the 1s and 0s
> regardless of the medium. Right now it seems to me like the labels
> are just being greedy bastards, wanting it both ways (surprise
> surprise).

Well, it's all a matter of trust. I've seen (and agreed to) software licenses
where you were allowed to make as many copies as you liked, provided that at
any given time no more than one copy may be running. Compared to this, the
music industry is paranoid beyond belief.

Gr,

Arjan H