If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

mary maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Mar 29 14:06:36 EDT 2009

Hi Scott,
I'm glad your music is getting out there, and you're having fun making it.
Thanks for the link to the concerts, I'll definitely check it out.
I remember from watching how things went down when Chris was working, adding
in things like mechanical rights to the recording makes things well,
interesting.  I hope you're well.

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List
[mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET]On Behalf Of SHLL (Scott Heller)
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 3:16 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: If you pirate music, you're downloading communism!

 This is a tough subject. Now that I run my own band I can see this in a
slightly different light. What we have been doing is giving away high
quality MP3 versions of all our jam sessions for free on our web site. We
also have all our live concerts recorded and put up on the internet at
www.archive.org for free. We do not have any of the tracks from our CDs on
our main web site and hope to encourage people to buy our cds and sonn vinyl
records! We do put tracks from our cds on myspace, but I think myspace has
not lead to a lot of new fans for us. Fans that buy our music.

As for illegal downloading, it is something we have to live with as our
music lives in a digital world. If you release stuff only on cassette and
vinyl, you will have a lot less problems with this as it is more effort for
some one to digitize your stuff and put it up. It will of course happen.

Our new CD came out last week in Feb and just a week ago, there was already
a site : www.omega-music.com (I think) and they had the whole thing up for
free download... What can you do???

Our record label tries to write to these people but if they don't want to do
anything, little can be done from a small label.

Lucky we do not have to live off music. I am just happy that we can get the
whole thing to more or less go around and we can still afford to put out 1-2
cds a year...

As long as we release music in a digital format, we will live with the
problem of people getting our work for free.

Scott

www.oresundspacecollective.com
www.myspace.com/oresundspacecollective